Updated weekly

or whenever the mood strikes me . . .

2010/04/29

Something I haven't said before . . .

I'm posting this update early, because my wife and I will be out-of-town this weekend while she attends a conference for work.

I haven't told anyone this publicly, but I'm a volunteer for the American Red Cross. At our last meeting, I was appointed the Law Enforcement Liaison for our local chapter.

In keeping with that function, I thought it would be useful to make myself more valuable to both the ARC and the local LEO's. I've decided that the best way to meet both functions at the same time (apart from doing the liaison training that each agency might require, which I will do) is to get my Amateur Radio Operator's license. Yes, I'm going to become a HAM radio operator. I got the book "THE ARRL Ham Radio License Manual" from the ARRL (Amateur Radio Relay League) in the mail today, and my wife and I will begin studying it together this weekend. We plan for both of us to get the license, as this will enable us to use Ham radios to stay in touch with each other if I get called out of the immediate area to help with disaster relief somewhere. I'm also going to have to renew my passport.

No comments:

Post a Comment